Taking the 9th spot on this year's top-10 moments list is joining Gerry and Peichi's cell in late October/early November this year.
I had first wanted to join them almost 3 years ago, but I hesitated because I thought their cell group would be too old for me.
In the interim, I tried the NUS cell in church, but I stopped going after a while mainly because almost everybody in that cell was a youth leader so somehow knowing them a little too well made the task of honest sharing difficult.
So three years later and a few months ago, when Andrea asked me if I was interested in checking Gerry and Peichi's cell out, it could not have come at any other time more opportune.
And strangely enough, I felt right at home the very first time I was there. From then on, I knew Friday nights would never be the same again.
Then on Monday this week, Peichi sms-ed me to ask if I was free to have dinner with Jerry and herself. They picked me up and brought me to one of their favourite Peranakan makan places at Hua Guan Avenue, off Bukit Timah Road.
They had wanted to know everything there was to know about me since I was new to their cell and all, and for the first time in my life, I had 2 pair of adult eyes looking and listening intently to me.
I never had that all my life - not even from my parents.
It was impossible for me to tell them everything about me, but I guess it was a start. Inevitably, the conversation drifted to lifestyle issues and clubbing. Although they were very clear about what they stood regarding the whole thing, I didn't feel judged.
In fact, I felt this was long overdue. I have been way too exposed to the perils of postmodernism, and in an age of political correctness, people have shyed away from telling me the truth as it is, and into my face in a manner that is firm but acceptable.
When Gerry heard me say that I may be reconsidering taking a break from youth ministry, he told me that he saw a vision of a F1 circuit and then the vision zoomed in on the pitstop. His message was clear - I had to take a break and refuel.
Joining this cell group where I am pretty much the youngest also frees me from the responsibility of leading all the time. I can pretty much be myself and relax.
Stability. Simplicity. Identity. Consistency.
Buzzwords in the new year. I cannot wait to start 2006 and a new season of my life with this cell group.
Friday, December 23, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment