Saturday, December 24, 2005

Top 10 Moments of 2005: Number 8

Number 8 on this year's list has got to do with the decision I made earlier this year to take on the responsibility of leading my Monday contact group in Arts VCF for the 2005/06 academic year.

I wasn't exactly Rachel's "first choice" replacement candidate but I guess God's will remain something that baffles most of us anyway.

But while praying through the whole thing, the events that led up to my decision were something that I will never quite forget.

There was this one CG session in March where I was to "practise" leading Bible study. I could not remember what was the topic, but I remembered when I sat down on the Sunday night before that Monday CG and started preparation, I realised that it was about the same thing as I taught the youths in church earlier that day.

In a sense, this may be considered a mere coincidence, but one of the concerns that I was concerned with was how campus ministry would balance up with my church ministry. This small incident was God's assurance that He would everything would complement and for me to go ahead and take up the appointment.

However, what followed in the first semester of 05/06 was nothing short of disaster. It all started because I decided to intern at a local paper in the summer, which deprived me of the chance to be at the VCF Freshman Orientation Camp in July.

And it certainly didn't help that I hardly attended the leaders' planning camp, because it came so soon after EARC and I was so tired and sick when I came back from Bogor.

And it didn't help that I had a crisis of my own when I started the term so tired from the 11am-1am internship days. My internship ended one week before school restarted, and going to Bangkok during that week break, on hindsight, was not exactly the best thing I could have done.

But I guess everything happened for a reason. My time at Anntic'05 really shook me up and reminded me of what prompted me to go into campus ministry in the first place.

And fortunately, there is still a second semester to look forward to and to try to start doing what I am really supposed to be doing as a CGL.

No comments: