Looking at the various blog entries of other VCF-ers and their time at Anntic, I thought I would post a list of top-10 random moments of my time at Majodi Centre in JB.
Here goes, in no particular order of merit.
Number 1: Group Haggai
I honestly felt rather lacklustre when I first saw my whole group for the first time at Kranji MRT station on Monday morning. I knew Shawna was going to be in the group and that Yu-shan, an arts freshie was going to be my group leader.
The rest of Haggai were Luke(law chairperson), Zizi(computer engineering freshie), Joshua(science 3 and KE7), Mingjie(arts freshie), Jocelyn, Pamela(both fellow arty farts), Kevin the dinosaur and Daryl Ho, the engine freshie who took his own sweet time in signing up for Anntic. Uh huh.
But, as usual, as the cliche goes, everything changed over the course of the next 5-6 days. All of them have to be congratulated for putting up with my motor mouth and my nonsense in its full glory. As you can see, it is not very easy to live with me, so kudos to them for having survived.
Number 2: Charlie Bunk
I thought I would be able to breeze through this Anntic without having to bear any responsibilities - I actually withdrew from wanting to be Bible study leader so that I can actually just do nothing.
I nearly choked when they happily annnounced that I were to be bunk i/c, but somehow it got me strangely happily reacquainted with washing toilets again.
I had a whole string of rules that immediately came into mind - mainly because I went into auto army area cleaning gear, but I decided that I should not make things so difficult for myself and just stick to that one rule - no slippers in the washroom.
Number 3: Air-con Wednesday
I am not one who must have air-conditioning when sleeping, but I was so glad the air-conditioning came on Wednesday evening.
The sickening drone of mosquitoes flying next to my ear in the first two nights reminded me of those times when I had to sleep outfield. The scars running down both my arms bear testament of how I had fought a valiant battle against those commando-trained mosquitoes.
Number 4: The F-Word
No, not the vulgar one. This is spelt F-U-N-K-Y. Yes. It all started with how Pamela kept using the word. Then we developed in good linguistic tradition, an elementary semantic discourse for the word.
An example of our blasphemous misuse of the word was in reference to the statue that had lights that made it glow eerily in the night at the far end of the camp. It looked like the statue of the Virgin Mary from afar and given that Majodi is a Catholic place, we thought that was reasonable.
We described the glowing statue as being "funky" until we found out that the statue was of Jesus Christ. We repented on the spot. It was not so funky anymore.
Plus, after Zhiwei told us the original use of the word, I was very sure I am not going to use the word lightly ever again.
Hint: think about how Sex and the City's Samantha told someone that he had "funky tasting spunk." Tsk tsk.
Number 5: Quotable Quote of the Camp
This honour goes to Taiyu's re-use of what someone once told him before - "The only person without time is a dead person."
He was responding during Exco Time, regarding reasons why VCF should not function as independent entities.
Number 6: The "unofficial" plenery session in Charlie bunk
It all started with an innocent question from Daryl - "How do we know if we like a girl?" on Wednesday night. Maybe the cooler room temperatures had to do with this.
Mark Cham then promptly gathered most of the people in the bunk and assembled an emergency distinguished panellists that consisted of Luke and James. Tze Fong, on finding out the subject matter of the discussion, promptly cited fatigue and declined comment.
I shall not reveal the contents of the plenery session here, except that it was awfully funny and I had a great time.
A word of caution though. A very reliable source has informed me that every single thing we discussed in our room could be overheard in every bunk because the partitions were not exactly sound proof.
Number 7:"Wayang-ized" story of Daniel in the den of lions
It was my crazy idea at one of the many experiencential games stations, but it didn't exactly turn out the way it should have at the end.
I had wanted to give the familiar story an unfamiliar twist, but it kind of lost its comic timing when we finally presented it. Maybe it would have been better if we didn't rehearse it, but it was fun seeing people being so gungho about it.
Number 8: The extent of Weihao's funny-ness
Together with Taiyu, I always knew Weihao to be part of VCF resident comic duo. I never had the opportunity to see him alone - until the final night that is.
Another unofficial plenery session about relationships, this time involving members of the opposite gender, out under the stars in the carpark, brought about massive guffaws. It was a laugh a minute, until the other relationship plenery who were previously in the hall, decided to come out to join us.
I cannot imagine how shortchanged they must have felt when they found out we were just laughing at the ann-tics of Weihao, Chris and Hansel. In fact, one of them left in a huff shortly after combining. Whoops!
Number 9: The camp food
I loved the curries! I thought it was standard no-frills Anntic fare, which means it involved the group sitting around the table, eating together. Nice and cosy, no fuss.
The seafood dinner on the last night on a pseudo kelong, was really beyond my wildest dreams. I suspected that most of our camp fees were spent on this meal, which may have explained an alleged lack of funds that accounted for no air-con in the first two nights.
But all's fine in the end. In fact, my group was so stuffed - even Luke with the bottomless pit for a stomach - by the time the last noodle dish came by, that it was only cleared when we decided to play a number game with losers having to eat a portion.
Number 10: The MRT Game
On the way back to the campsite after the dinner on the last night, my group were playing some inane games on the bus because of the traffic jam.
They were playing this MRT station game that I could not quite figure out until right up to before the worship session started. It was so f-r-u-s-t-r-a-t-i-n-g, but they all had a good laugh at my expense.
For prosterity, I shall not say anything about how the game works, because my next victim could be you. Ha!
So there you have it, the top 10 moments of Anntic, according to my cognitive memory. Any resemblence to anybody else's list is entirely coincidental.
Thursday, December 15, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment