Friday, December 02, 2005

Falling Spinning...Renting?

I am so sure JM was not just merely "influenced" by the musical, Rent when he wrote Falling Spinning earlier this year -- because the latter was an utter rip-off from the award winning former.

However, the resemblence between FS and Rent were largely cosmetic and stylistic. In fact, while they may feel the same, their messages espoused could not have been any more contrasting - FS could be perceived as a "Christianised" Rent in context of a local university.

I caught Rent at the Kallang Theatre last night, and I watched the whole 3-hour long show with my mouth agap most of the times, because the similarities between the 2 shows was right down to the line -- Tango Maureen in Rent was Chasing the Wind in Falling Spinning.

Hmm, or should that be Chasing the Wind was like Tango Maureen?

And there was the loft scene which reminded me so much of the contact group scene, and the confusion in scene where Angel dies was so much like when Jude died on FS staged in March this year.

No wonder the scenes between Jude and Ethan felt somewhat gay. No wonder JM told JL to "give me a hug" during our audition and it turned out all wrong.

Tsk tsk.

[Please be reminded that the above comment is entirely tongue-in-cheek.]

But by and large, catching the musical - which is currently on its 10th anniversary run and which stars not only cast from Broadway, but also Asian pop artiste, Karen Mok - was an utterly pleasant experience.

Bar a few not so pleasant things though.

The last time I was in the same Kallang Theatre when I caught the crince-inducing Chang and Eng a few years ago, which was about the last time I caught a drama production of any sort. And after catching Les Miz there in 1994 and Phantom in 1995, the sound system there seemed to have deteriorated.

The ensemble cast also seemed to be lacking somewhat in terms of stage energy, but then again, it was to be expected since the theatre was less than half filled and the actors were almost a week into the run here. The actor playing Angel was especially under par.

I thought it was a great pity that Singaporeans are not turning out in the droves to watch this quality production. Since this musical had so much to do with AIDS, perhaps a collaboration with the AIDS support organisation in Singapore could have been arranged in conjunction with World AIDS Day. It would have given much more publicity and maybe higher gate receipts.

But on an utterly separate note, personally, the musical made me think about a couple of things regarding alternative lifestyles and the plight of AIDS-inflicted people.

The musical main themes were that of loneliness and baggage. When the musical was first staged to critical acclaim back in 1995, it was ground breaking in that it brought awareness that AIDS patients were at the end of the day, not some weird bunch, but ordinary people struggling with issues as well.

On one hand, it would be great if everybody would not be discriminated against. And where the characters seem to be estranged from their prying families, while some experience genuine estrangement, somehow the lack of acceptance that most of the characters seem to exhibit seem to stem from their own imagination, rather than the reality.

This lack of family love was substituted by their foster family - friends, fellow AIDS sufferers, fellow bohemes.

But it struck me that that they are all looking for love and acceptance in all the wrong places - whatever happened to God? If our existence is nothing but a mere parenthetical one, then surely there must be something of eternal value.

Yet, while giving up the things with eternal value may sound like ludicrous, let me assure you that giving up the temporal things of the world is much harder because it is more tangible.

Personally, this is a sobering reminder of the endless possibilities if I do give up the good fight.

La vie boheme?

Perhaps, because in the end, maybe Benny [I previously wrongfully thought it was Allison] is right to say that bohemia is "just a fallacy in your head."

"This is Calcatta. Bohemia is dead."

3 comments:

kLeM said...

I am utterly blown away by your response, Ming.

Even more so because from the tone of your written response here, it is apparent that you perceived my post as a slight to your position and your artistic integrity.

The fact that my lead paragraph was my exact words to you in a text message during the intermission of the Rent performance I was watching, makes it all the more shocking your words are worded so strongly.

Because back then, your response was one of bemusement and may I say, acknowledgement that what I said was meant to be a jibe and in good taste and fashion.

Your response to these almost same words, can seem to imply 2 things.

And before I go on, let me quantify "almost" because the fifth paragraph was not exchanged between us.

And that the third and the fourth paragraphs, though not communicated, were in essence an exemplification of what were exchanged, which is essentially the first two paragraphs.

The first thing that may be implied is that your aghast is due to the fact that you have seen these words for the first time.

And/or secondly, that we have no pre-existing relationship to know that these words connotate a tone that is non-confrontational and therefore not meant to incite.

Besides while I used these words as a lead off, the article goes on to talk about other things about Rent and what I thought of it.

And that I already have pre-existing knowledge about your insipiration for FS makes for your comments totally uncalled for.

Maybe I should have quantified my position after my lead paragraph - that while FS may mimick Rent in its essence, the worldview implied is different.

And the "gay" comment, was in your favourite word, "utterly" tongue-in-cheek.

But I think the only mistake I made in this whole damn thing is that I assumed.

And yes, that also of mistaking Allison for Benny's words.

And for the record, this is not a negative comment on FS - more than half of the article was my own reflections while watching Rent.

simply jon. said...

Ok klem, in response to your msg over msn and your request for me to read these comments, i'm going to break my habit of not commenting on ppl's blogs on serious notes just this once.

Two people watched Rent at this screening and blogged about it. You came up with the comparision, while the other said that it simply could not be compared. And in that i think you've missed the point entirely.

Falling.Spinning may or may not have been a rip-off of Rent. Perhaps some scenes were modeled after the latter, and some were entirely original. I seriously believe it does not matter in the least. Whether or not your intended tone was against F.S. or in it's favour doesn't matter to whoever is reading it. I was most certainly shocked as i read it for you seem to be severly condemning the purpose of the musical despite having knowledge of JM's inspiration and playing a major part in it.

Does it really matter, Klem? I haven't watched Rent before, but even when i'm told that a lot of the scenes were similar, it doesn't change my perspective in any way. I still feel that it was a great time despite going through all that i did back then, for the best purpose possible that i can imagine, and i will dearly miss our rehearsal if for nothing more than the fellowship that we had. No comment on whether JM is defending his "artistic integrity" in his reply to you.

I observe your own personal thoughts that are solely on Rent, yet i can't help but think that you are bitter in whatever way about F.S. because it most certainly sounds that way, despite "your words connotat[ing] a tone that is non-confrontational and therefore not meant to incite." Thus i will agree with JM openly on the account that your statement is a sweeping one. I really hate to be so direct here, but you of all people should know that often it's not what you intended to sound like in what you write that matters - it's how people read what you write.

Let me then echo your words in saying "i am totally blown away by your response", Klem. Was that really necessary?

bing said...

whoa. but well. see you all in AnnTIC and have fun there! ^^