Friday, September 09, 2005

Of Old & New Firsts

They say that the firsts in our lives create the most lasting impression.

I met up with one of my first students for lunch Friday. Edwin is now 17 and in J1. When I taught him 3 years ago, he was easily a head shorter than I was. Today, the basketball fanatic and aspiring vet is one head taller than me.

But some things just do not change - thankfully.

Like how he continues to be as tanned as ever. And more importantly, like how he continues to be the good kid that he was when he was 14, brash and enthusiastic.

Edwin was one of the students who were one of the highlights of my maiden three-month relief teaching stint back at my alma mater when I was awaiting enlistment in 2002.

I remember there was this one History test that he did badly in. He barely passed when he used to top all the previous tests. When I was returning the marked test scores, I basically told him off for falling short of his usual high standards.

When I finished giving out the stack of test papers that day though, I saw that little boy slouching over his seat and his eyes were wet. He was visibly upset by my careless words.

I was quite shocked - what have I done?

This kid was one of the more bratty ones in class, but while he was mischievious, he was no where near disruptive. In fact, I secretly appreciated how he, together with his side kick and seat mate, Samuel, added so much life to his class - a typical non-responsive class of top students.

His response was totally unprecedented. I decided that I needed to do some damage control before I leave this lasting negative impact on his formative mind.

But he was just about to make himself more endearing with his sensibility.

I assigned the class some work and then hauled him out of class, away from the glare of everybody else, mindful of his need for privacy. I could not remember if I apologized for my words, but I remembered explaining my intent. But his response blew me away.

He apologized for not doing well because he was too tired the night before and fell asleep while studying for the test. He was too fatigued by his basketball training the day before.

I cannot remember what I said, but I think whatever I said to sayang him after that paled in comparison to what he said.

Today, it was just nice talking to him about his life and telling him a little a bit about mine over lunch. I broke my record of not taking a cab this week because I figured I could not make him wait for me, and I am glad it was all worth it.

Because finally meeting up with Edwin reminded me that my heart for young people still remains. That my current lack of patience and tolerance for the younger people now under my charge is probably temporary.

That the current rut I am in is probably just a season of renewal and equipping in my life.

And somehow seeing a student surpass me, his teacher - physically in terms of height and metaphorically, felt great.

Oh well, one of those warm and fuzzy feel-good social moments I guess. But thanks to this lunch meeting, I had my first happy day in a long while yet. =)

No comments: