Friday, September 09, 2005

Be With Me

There was not much dialogue in the film, but the silence spoke volumes.

Eric Khoo's latest offering, Be With Me, is inspired by the life of a deaf and mute woman, Theresa Chan and is "a tapestry of of stories woven around the themes of love, hope and destiny."

Along with Theresa Chan's story as the main plot, three sub plots run concurrently and demonstrate the temporality of the love between the lesbians, the fruitless pinings of the quintessential outcast of society and the bond between an old married couple that even stood the test of death/life.

While I will leave you to the devices of the official website with regards to the non-spoiler type of synopsis of the film, and to you to watch the film for yourself, I will just let up on how Theresa's faith in God touched me.

"God works in wonderful and mysterious ways," she says, "but despite my blindness and muteness, I still trust him."

It got me thinking. And I am sure it was not just me in the theatre.

I got reminded of my own predicament - how if this woman can still trust in God despite being stricken by "eternal misery," then how could I allow myself to be defeated?

And then I got reminded of how despite love "can never die, despite its form dead," that ultimately the love that stands any test is that of God's.

How could I even settle for anything lesser than that?

Over the last week, I made a decision to stop thinking so much and try to get down to work. Truth be told, I was kind of panicking because it is week five and I hardly got anything done - and I have got deadlines in 2 weeks!

But once I settled into a groove of reading and preparing for tutorials and drawing up concept plans for my term papers, I realised that my introspective nature has been exploited to my detriment again. That occupying myself with legitimate things is what I should be doing.

The problem is far from being solved, but it seems to be a trough right now. But whatever it is, I should not make too much out of it, and not forget my responsibility as a student.

My last week has all about picking up the pieces. I realised again that I do not have to feel guilty for not wanting to do for all the VCF events. Just because I am a leader does not make me superhuman. I should not let guilt run my life.

And more importantly, just Jasmine said, it is not about the doing but the being. I just hope I will keep to that for this next season of my life.

I am so glad I persisted in calling the Lido booking hotline because the first two I called, Cineleisure and then Golden Village, sold out the tickets for the show at the time slot I wanted.

I wanted to them to be with me. But at least for now, I know more why I should not want that to happen. Even it's only just that little bit.

No comments: