Wednesday, September 07, 2005

An Apolitical Dilemma

Five weeks into being an official Sociology major, and I am having second thoughts already.

Saturday night, over cheap kopitiam tea with my army buddies from SISPEC, and talking about what we are studying/doing, it felt weird saying that I am doing Sociology in school. In fact, I almost felt ashamed for being a Sociology major.

Somehow coming after what my friends say - two of them are in Accountancy, one in Business and another in Building, Sociology came across as being so iffy. I wonder how it might have been like if I could say I majored in Economics or Political Science.

I hated feeling what I am studying is of no apparent tangible use to society.

But why am I even affected by all these talk? Not so long ago, I do not remember this being an issue at all.

Then yesterday while finally getting down to some serious reading, and after three hours over a tedious anthropology reading, I was thinking - what was I doing reading about somebody wanting to circumcise himself just to be a man?

Maybe it's just the fear of making the wrong choice that is coming over me. Despite having all the reasons that made me give up Political Science blaring overtime in my mind, PS never looked more appealing. Suddenly, the weak department at NUS ceased to be so much of a factor for a split second.

My friends cannot believe I can still have second thoughts about my choice of major. I cannot either, but I guess I would just have to live with being myself.

4 comments:

brian koh said...

art always has value to society. being a somewhat polar opposite of science, it provides the "friction" which science needs to walk on and keep our world spinning on axis.

if you'd rather hear wot my sister has to say about this issue

"art somehow reminds us we are still human."

i went thru a thought along those lines when i decided to choose art as my expression, and probable source of income.

and if you are a good sociologist or artist or wotever humanities stricken individual, you still have a creative skill that is considered and asset that people can use. and the market force will definitely call upon such talent.

so hope this helps makes you feel better about your major. yes, it does suck when you can only do one major in your constantly evolving life in NUS, maybe thats why some people do multiple degrees. they never wanna stop. *shrug*

kungfubunny said...

well apparently you look bigger after circumcision eh?

kungfubunny said...

i know that didn't help, but i like to ga cheow you.

kungfubunny said...

omg... spam comments are just sprouting up all over the place. what a nuisance!!!