Weijie definitely has a thing for breakfast meetings. In fact, I think the only breakfasts I have ever eaten the last 6 months have all been the times I met him at an unearthly time of 9am.
But today's meeting was good. He looked much more radiant and definitely much happier than before - maybe being put out of the Armour Spec course did him a world of good.
It turned out that that was the only good part of my day.
The Writing Assistant interview that followed was an utter blur. I rambled through most parts of it. It did not help that the mock conference student was not exactly the person who wrote the sample essay, so the conversation was rather insipid. I would know whether they would hire me next Wednesday, so I am keeping my fingers crossed, but my gut instinct tells me to just forget about it and move on. Period.
But the highlight of the day has to be the walk down the AS1 walkway to Arts Canteen for lunch.
This has been something that was very mundane previously, but there was something different today.
Maybe it has got to do with the fact that today was the first time I actually walked down that aisle since I started work as an journalist intern at the beginning of June. It felt distinctly different - familiar yet strangely distant. It was like I had been away for a long while.
Perhaps I have gotten too much into what I have been doing. I was supposed to be a student, wanting to get a taste of the real action in the newsroom. In the end, when I went back to where I was supposed to belong at this point in my life, I felt like a journalist going back for another taste of school.
The last month and a half feels like forever. Somehow while I am enjoying my stinct on the ST Sports Desk, I really want to go back to school. It's just less complicated, I guess.
Right now, I am like crawling towards the finishing line. I hope to finish next Friday, then fly off to Phuket for a Saturday-Monday beach retreat. Then after training with the writing centre, hopefully cover Bangkok from Wednesday to Saturday.
Insane plans. But only possible if I get the dole coming in soon. Bah!
Monday, July 18, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment