I think I may have just killed any chances of coming back on the ST Sports Desk. I made a mega boo-boo when I didn't follow up on something I found out quickly enough.
As a result, the other newspaper beat us to a scoop about the whole SEA Games provisional swimming squad going to the World Championships to a tune of $100,000.
Lots of reasons accounted for my lack of competence as a journalist, but mainly because I am an inexperienced rookie.
Before I start sounding like a loser justifying my mistakes and then absolving myself of all blame, I must emphasize that I am raising my hand and admitting to my error in judgement. It is of nobody else's fault but my own.
Because fundamentally, I had made too many assumptions when I erred this time round. I assumed that my news sources would call me if things were more confirmed. I assume that people would get back to me.
But obviously I thought wrong.
What I should have done and should be doing from now on, is not to feel bad chasing people upteen times for stories. Even when they are overseas.
Because I knew that they were headed for the Worlds very early on, but it just didn't occur to me to report it as a main breaking story. My lack of news sense made very bloody apparent this time round. A suggestion that I am lacking in ability to report?
One thing I learnt - news cannot and must not wait.
I also misheard some instructions with the David Tay story. It was meant to be an information box, but I ran a 26-cm reaction piece to the scoop that the other paper beat us to.
I am immensely sorry, but even I am finding no point in apologizing anymore, because I keep making the same mistakes that all boil down to news sense and taking instructions.
My apologies are beginning to sound all too cliche. Maybe, just maybe I am just not good enough.
Sunday, July 17, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment