Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What a difference a week makes

It has been slightly more than a week since the VCF Annual General Meeting, but I feel as though it has been more than that.

I changed my mind AGAIN and decided against withdrawing my exco nomination at last week's AGM -- and the reality of my decision didn't take long to sink in.

As soon as I got home Monday night, I realised I didn't have a lot of time to get a lot of things done. As I was immediately plunged into a 4-day exco planning retreat last Wednesday, it meant I had to work out my plan for my thesis research trip to Bangkok in the one-day gap I had between AGM and exco retreat last week.

Without going into too many details, the exco retreat was intense. I got bitten by a lot of mosquitoes, but I think I came through it so glad to know I like working with the 2 closest people I would be working with.

I just came from a consultation with my thesis supervisor and he basically said my whole proposal was still too broad for an honours thesis. While he basically helped me rebuild after he deconstructed my topic, I was dismayed that all the reading I did the past few weeks have probably just "gone down the drain."

I have one day now to do a book search and start reading on a whole new set of books, before whacking another proposal before I meet prof again on Monday.

I leave next Wednesday, and so far only 2 elements of my program is confirmed. It's either I cannot seem to locate their right email addresses or all the other profs all don't seem to find me important enough to reply.

Whatever it is, I think I am going to have to make some calls to Bangkok tomorrow. It's so weird -- their profiles on their university websites contain everything except their email address.

So in a nutshell, I have been having so many things on my mind the past week -- VCF exco, thesis and of course Campus Observer. I think I have come to a point of realising that I shouldn't make a problem out of my busyness -- rather, I need to just learn how to cope with it.

And to think I thought I would be relatively free in the next academic year. Tsk tsk.

No comments: