Thursday, May 03, 2007

Reigniting my American Idol obsession

Even though my heart wants Blake Lewis to win, my head tells me it's going to be either Melinda Doolittle or Jordin Sparks who is probably going to win it.

But I totally digged Blake Lewis' rendition of Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name" at last night's second Top-6 round. Blake also did John Lennon's "Imagine" last week, but I still find his rendition of Keane's "Somewhere Only We Know" the most searing in my mind.

Lakisha redeemed herself after her horrible song choices of the last 3 weeks with a brilliant rendition of Bon Jovi's "This Ain't A Love Song" last night.

It even had Simon Cowell purring and kissing her, but I think he really meant it when he said he was really glad she nailed the song because she's a great singer. She just needed to know her strengths and choose well. This week was one such example.

Melinda Doolittle, as usual, turned in her weekly singing master class this week, that had Randy Jackson remarking that she's "like a young Tina Turner."

I actually disagree because she does not need to be a young-somebody -- she's so good she's going to be an artiste in her own right. She's going to be Melinda Dolittle.

Jordin Sparks did better last week with "You'll Never Walk Alone" -- the fabled Liverpool theme, which had goose bumps tinkling all over me, and "Broken Wing" the week before.

Chris Richardson and Phil Stacey were ousted this week, but I think it was pretty much how things were -- not just this week, but in the last few weeks as well. Try reading slate.com coverage of American Idol, it is kick ass and so very witty.

No comments: