Wednesday, August 30, 2006

No rain, just showers

I like rainy days. I like it when it's all naturally chilled and cool with the wind blowing into my face when I walk to the Arts canteen for dinner. I like it when it's all quiet and just me at Writing Centre like it was just now.

With music streaming from Class 95 that sounded vaguely retro on a cool Wednesday evening, it was optimal conditions. Optimal not just for studying, but also for a bout of melancholia.

Attending the wake of Ming's dad last night made me think. His dad was 56 and just lost his 3-4 year battle with cancer. Like Ming, I am not close to my dad. Being there last night made me think of not only my dad's mortality, but also my mom's and the fragility of life in general.

This may sound awfully clinche, but it's bloody true.

There has been so many deaths of late, particularly people my age who die after getting into car accidents and all. Then I recalled Ming's dad was probably about the third or fourth friend's dad/mom who passed away in the last year because of cancer.

And then in the last year, I have been to two weddings of people my age. A Sec Four classmate would be getting engaged end of this year.

And then there are the numerous birthday celebrations, of juniors turning 21 and of friends who grow older each year.

With each passing year, my singlehood becomes more glaringly obvious. Every time I find out about a friend getting attached or having "something new on his plate," I get incredibly upset about being left all alone.

It's selfish, I know -- I am supposed to feel happy for them, but I really cannot help it. Bah!

xxx

I just realised it's almost impossible to convince somebody to choose NUS over SMU business. It's just bloody not possible. Boo to conniving advertising and marketing strategies!

No comments: