Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Bangkok May 2006


Taken at the last pit stop of our Thai wallet-chasing adventure, these are the folks who helped me my wallet back.

It is really amazing how this can occur in a teeming metropolis of 10 million people. God definitely retained His caustic wit when He answered my prayer to make this Thai trip an experience I would remember.

And His hand in this is unmistakable, because if you would to consider all the intricacies, it was really too much of a coincidence. Words alone here do not fully explicate a full appreciation of the entire situation.

This, together with the whole experience of staying with Ick and Yo's family and visiting their church, allowed me to zip all across the city and afforded me a glimpse of ordinary Thai society, that is vastly different from the glossy touristy gaze. Although this was in itself incomplete, it was at the very least more rooted in reality.

I also found out that I share the same Chinese surname as Ick and Yo - their Tangchavalit is apparently the Thai eqivalent to my Tan, since both our Chinese surname is Chen. (I thought it would have been Tang or something.) Oh well, the next time I go to Thailand, I hope to be conversant in Thai.

No comments: