Monday, March 06, 2006

Crunch time

And so after fretting over it for over a week, I finally submitted my application to Yale summer school this afternoon.

I decided against writing a fresh 2000 word essay on politics for it because I decided I have got other better things to do like my 3 remaining term papers, 3 articles for news writing class, my last response paper for social theory and of course, my dialogue project for democratic possibilities class.

In the end, I heeded the advice of the person in charge to make my application more "competitive" - I included a cover letter, my resume, two reference letters on top of the stipulated result slip, application form and an essay in either politics/economics/philosophy or human relations.

This is really the crunch period in more ways than one.

Other than this being the season of deadlines plus having to play catch up with the accumulated readings that were the result of my pre mid-sem recess sloth, I also face the ignomity of the sack from my part time pagination position at the media company.

Okay, so maybe I am just over-imagining things.

My colleague just texted me to give the boss a ring tomorrow because I asked to take a 6-week break from work for the semester exams -- when the standard practice is only 4-weeks.

This 4-week is inclusive of the week for the exams plus the reading week, which effectively leaves me only 2 weeks of peaceful studying. Yes, I know my job is only once a week, but when push comes to shove, I think at this point in my life, my studies pretty much come first.

I mean, the boss could really mean to just want to talk to me about it, to see if I could strike a compromise. But something in me tells me that he might use this situation to sack me from my position because I have been very slow to pick up the techonology involved in the page layout.

I wouldn't know until I call him later this afternoon, so I'll keep my fingers crossed till then. But at the back of my head, I do wonder how this black mark might figure in my future employment as a journalist in the same company when I graduate.

But strangely enough, while I feel wronged and all, somehow I do know that if God's will for me is to be writing for them in future, nothing - and certainly not even a black mark - would prevent that from happening.

I just need to trust in His plan for my life - please, He has already gone before me and paved the way already. I mean it's probably legitimate to be concerned a little, but if I've got something as big as Him, something's just gotta give.

No comments: