Friday, November 04, 2005

Bangkok Blues

It has been almost a week and the 2 Bangkok newspapers I applied to for a short internship stint this December have yet to reply me.

Earlier this week, I emailed Bangkok Post almost on a whim at 2am on a Monday morning because I decided that going there for an internship is the only way I will go to Bangkok this December with a peace of mind.

I was in 2 minds about going to Bangkok with my family on a holiday because I did not want to spend beyond my means and let Mom pay for everything.

But everything was settled later that Monday evening when my mother decided to postpone the Bangkok trip indefinitely after seeing telelvision news reports of the bird flu situation there.

I was relieved, but became paradoxically annoyingly anxious for my internship application to go through at the same time.

What was initially my mode to alleviate any sense of guilt now became pretty much the bane of my existence.

And for good measure, after Jim reminded me that Bangkok Post is "not as free as" The Nation, I emailed the latter as well to enquire about the possibility of interning there as well. All in the vain hope of "doubling" my chances of getting to experience an alternate news environment.

After which, I was utterly dismayed to find out that The Nation had its office on the outskirts of Bangkok in Bang-Na which means I would face problems with transport and accomodation, both of which were not problems given that Bangkok Post has its office at the peripheral of the city centre.

I also found out that even if I do get the internship, I cannot realistically expect to be paid and even if I do, no where near the rates SPH dish out - which is not a big deal really, given how the experience would pretty much be worth its weight in gold in itself.

Meanwhile, I shall play the waiting game for a little while longer and occupy myself with the arguably mundane task of finishing up my term paper on political awareness for my social research methods class and my presentation on the Kyoto Protocol for the dreaded biodiversity class.

And exams start in 13, 14 days?

Bleh.

No comments: