Monday, December 25, 2006

2006 Top-10 Moments: Number 7

Taking the 7th spot on this year's list is my stepping out of youth ministry officially when Pastor Ian and Ailing "released" me from ministry obligations.

Dealing with the folks in the new youth cell group that I had started to accomodate some new-comers took its toll on me. On hindsight, maybe I should have stayed put in my partnership with Jimmy in the cell containing the whole motley crew.

In what was originally meant to be a year of sabbatical for me, I also joined an adults cell and eventually over the course of the year, settled into the Saturday Evening Service in church.

My sabbatical, however, became naught when I later decided to start a campus newspaper with a group of friends in school -- more about this in a later post.

So, back to the main topic.

After 6 years in Heartbeat Ministries, it was time for me to move on to a different season. The meltdown made me realised how I was always doing and doing and doing, and neglected the whole being aspect of the faith -- which is arguably the most important.

I wished things could have turned out differently, but I guess this might not be a complete break from youth ministry. I still do not know where I am headed but I guess there really should not be no such rush since it's about waiting on the Lord's timing.

This is number 7 simply because it marked the end of an involvement in something that has been a major part of my life the last 6 years. It was through Heartbeat that I got to know the friends I have now, and while it has its flaws and imperfections, it played an integral role in recultivating my faith in Him in the aftermath of my post-secondary spiritual meltdown.

xxx

It was therefore ironic what happened last night, where I got minorly wasted in front of a lot of younger people. I do not condone my lack of resistance last night, but while I have raised my hands up to claim responsibility, I regret the damage has already been done.

I just got to deal with the consequences and the fallout from my folly -- for with great powers, come great responsibilities.

No comments: