It just hit me that this was how I felt every day when I was in the ST newsroom last year. For two whole months, I would go to work feeling all drained from the day before, but get revitalised by the sheer energy and adrenaline I get from stepping into the news room.
This is Aug 14, my junior year officially starts at 12 noon later with a class on the concept of gender and a visual ethnography lecture at 4pm. My newspaper editor shift is smacked right between.
And oh, The Campus Observer starts publishing today. I think child birth must feel something like this - though utterly fatigued and overcome with the pain, there is this unexplainable sense of pride and joy at seeing something birthed.
I honestly don't know where this would take me. I guess God knows, I'd just have to follow. But I really hope it wouldn't be so tiring running the paper. At this rate, it feels more like maintaining a full time job as a journalist, and being a part-time undergraduate.
I am taking 3 coursework-based classes that are incredibly heavy on the readings and term papers, plus a research module pitched at honours level. Then there is the online journalism class which involves the newspaper.
For once, I feel really really scared. One semester of 4.9 can sure make me think I am bloody superman, that I am invincible. Now that the reality of a slate wiped clean for the new semester is setting in, I can feel the fear. I am going to need God so much more.
And I really shouldn't be this busy. Really. Bah!
xxx
I finally finished my work at approximately 12 mn, when I wrapped up my meeting with Kenneth L at the coffeeshop downstairs, with my eye half on the television screen, on the Charity Shield match that Liverpool won.
I have been up since 5.30 this morning. Cabbed down to East Coast Park to cover the NUS Triathlon for The Campus Observer. The event was a big mess and I had a very hard time trying to be humane during the writing process.
It took me double my usual time to finish a piece. From the time I sat at my laptop at 3pm, after a quick lunch and shower, I agonised over my word choice and deliberated each quote I used within my inner being.
I didn't want to burn bridges with my very first article about a Sports Club event, but I was also ethnically bound to report the ground sentiments as they were. In the end, I think I kindda compromised.
I typed/wrote non-stop till 9pm, working on my triathlon piece, my comment column and the photo essay for the triathlon. And then Kenneth, who was in HK the past week, came to meet me to catch up about what he missed out for the newspaper while he was gone.
I think sleep beckons now. Once more. Bliss.

No comments:
Post a Comment