Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Fallacy of Elitism and Meritocracy

I know this sounds sore-loserish, but I can't help but feel shortchanged about my unsuccessful application to do summer school at Yale University.

They said that our results would be a factor, but from the looks of it, results were the defining factor since all of those selected have CAP scores in the first class honours region.

Which begs my next question -- then why the hell do you admit people like me into USP for? You dangle all those opportunities in my face to encourage me to apply, but I never get to actually go on all the biggies like this Yale summer school thing or the Harvard link up.

I mean, fundamentally, if all of us on USP are supposedly the finest and best NUS has got to offer, shouldn't it also follow that everybody on the programme should be nurtured?

If everything is determined on a CAP score basis, then wouldn't the same bunch of people get to do everything and anything?

And really, is this just your typical lofty rhetoric about "grades-not-being-everything" something being uttered because it's nice and good to hear, but not actually being done in practice?

And maybe, even if everything does boils down to the CAP score and the essay, maybe you would stop being so vague about what constitutes academic readiness and quit telling people to "make your application competitive."

Maybe my group should not have wreaked our brains for our presentation on Meritocracy and Democracy in Singapore -- they could have just used my real life as a case study or something.

After all, it is not a soap opera for nothing.

1 comment:

Nian Long said...

Hey bro...jangan tenshen lah.
I understand what you mean. And I was half-sure it would turn out like this. But my friends (and you are not the first) have asked me "I don't wanna be a loser all the time...but that's what it looks like for me. What to do, Nian?"
Would say that you've done your best (And REALLY...I think your application was the most 'power' I've heard...not just quantity, but quality. And if any other dude/chick/geek tells you otherwise, then tell them "SUM-BUDDY gonna get a hurt REAL bad".
What's there to lose, Really? I'm sure the people sifting through all those applications must have seen this huge thick app...with everything and gone "that's amazing". Even if they had to stack it aside to make space for the thinner applications with straight As on the front cover. Don't let this turn-down be a stop to your success. There'll be bigger fish to catch, larger fights to pick, and grander banquets to attend. Just take it as an experience, and pick up & move on.