Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Bangkok Inside Out

You should really go check out this book by David Ziv and Guy Sharett. Bangkok Inside Out gives you a pictorial A-Z lowdown of Bangkok.

Other than the staple Lonely Planet and Rough Guide series, this book is something you should read for the quirky places to visit. Like the uber-chic Phra Athit Road that is near Thammasat University, which runs parallel to the Chao Phraya River.

And in case you are wondering why have I morphed into a Thai specialist - that's because I am trying my darnest to plan what to do when I go to Bangkok tomorrow.

I am going to be there till Sunday, shopping, eating and hanging out with those Thai folks I befriended at EARC. I blew 50 bucks at Borders today, buying the Lonely Planet Guide to Bangkok and Thai Phrase Book.

I figured if my Thai friends are struggling and trying to speak to me in English, I should at least try to pick up some basic Thai and make communication easier.

I am not going to pack my schedule there so tightly.

Daniel Tham and I have agreed that we should only start our day after lunch at 12-1pm everyday. So this would give us enough time to sleep until we nua ourselves rotten and then wake up to cheap retail therapy at nearby Mahboonkrong Centre and Siam Square.

I think we are also going to check out Khao San Road, Chinatown and if we dare venture, Patpong, just for photography opportunities.

And of course, the legendary Chatuchak Weekend Market which will take up the whole of Saturday.

Module bidding is getting on my nerves. I just checked - Media Writing is still restricted to freshmen in Round 2B, which means I can only bid for it in Round 3A on Monday.

Might as well since I will be in Bangkok, because I can store it somewhere in the recesses of my mind and think about it when school starts.

But the downside is that I would be in this utter state of limbo. Plus the lecture for the class I want to drop to accomodate Media Writing is the very first class on Monday morning at 10am.

Oh well, THAT is for later. Right now, it's off to Bangkok tomorrow!

1 comment:

siti k. said...

Hey there!
Siti here..juz wanna say haf fun @ BKK..but if u really wan 2 get cheap bargains dun expect 2 get it @ MBK n Siam Square..u shld go 2 de night markets where u get better deals...haha anyways, enjoy ur hols n chill ya!