Friday, July 29, 2005

Tribulations

I just found out I was successful in bidding for two of the hottest USP science modules on offer. And get this - at one point apiece!

I can't quite believe it, because the minimum bid when open bidding closed, for the Biodiversity class I was bidding for, was 515 points, with more bids than places. Bidding for Transportation Planning, on the other hand, was surprisingly lacklustre this semester, so maybe getting it at one point was expected.

Guess people got scared and decided to move their points elsewhere. Whatever it is, this has thrown me into a unique dilemma I never expected.

According to the bidding statistics for round 1C, there appears to be 50 extra places opened up for Introduction to Media Writing - and restricted to freshmen. Subsequently, 16 places went for 1 point apiece, where in round 1A, 50 places went for 800-plus points each.

What a bloody travesty!

The lecturer and head of department had said that the extra 50 places could only be allocated manually after this CORS process is all over - which is in week 1 of the new term. So does this early availability means there was a screw up or a miscommunication or what?

Anyway, the implication for me is that if 16 places has been taken up and the 24 communications majors who failed in their bids get their places as promised, that leaves only 10 more vacancies - which communications majors will get priority over. In a nutshell, my chances of getting this module is very slim. Very slim in fact.

Which leaves me in an utter quandry because even if I can confirm a place on Media Writing class, it would be in week 2 of the new semester and tutorials for USP classes, unlike faculty modules, start in week 1 right away.

I can either forget about having the thoughts of dropping a class at the back of my mind and concentrate totally on my 2 science USP classes, or entertain the state of limbo.

Thing is, these 2 modules were obtained at a bargain that I never expected. To give up something that is definite for something that is uncertain is not going to do me any good. I am just not going to put my heart and mind into Transport class with an alternative constantly nagging at the back of my mind.

Perhaps I am thinking too much. I should just go and attend the first two lectures of all the classes in question and then decide for myself.

No comments: